The Legacy of Ambassador David M. Walters
Ambassador David M. Walters faced the tragic loss of his 6-year-old granddaughter Shannon Joy which changed the course of his life. His self-sacrifice and perseverance helped establish one of the nation’s top pediatric medical facilities, making it possible for children to receive world-class healthcare without leaving Florida.
As the founder of the Foundation, which we know today as the Nicklaus Children's Hospital Foundation, Ambassador Walters devoted his life to raising the funds necessary to expand, improve and support the medical facilities and programs at Nicklaus Children’s Hospital until his retirement in 2002. With the support of expert physicians, a dedicated staff and a caring community, Ambassador Walters continued his mission as a volunteer until his death in 2005. His legacy of philanthropy, advocacy and passion for kids continues to live on.
Start Making an Impact For Kids
We invite you to join us to help keep Ambassador Walters’ dream alive by becoming a member of the Walters' Legacy Society and including Nicklaus Children’s Hospital in your philanthropic planning. We are available to work with you and your advisors to design a charitable gift plan
that addresses a number of planning and tax issues, while enabling Nicklaus Children’s Hospital Foundation to fund world-class care at Nicklaus Children’s Hospital. You and your family will be forever recognized for your commitment and generosity.
The following types of planned gifts
qualify you for membership in the Walters' Legacy Society:
- Bequest provision in your will or trust
- Life-income gift that names MCH Foundation as a remainder beneficiary, such as a charitable remainder trust or a charitable gift annuity
- Charitable lead trust provides income to Nicklaus Children's Hospital Foundation for a term of years
- Gift or assignment of qualified retirement plan assets, such as an IRA, 401(k) or 403(b)
- Gift of life insurance and/or real estate
- Certain other planned gifts may also qualify for membership
Beyond the deep satisfaction of knowing your gift is making a difference in the life of a child, Walters' Legacy Society members will receive:
- Your name included on the hospital Donor Recognition Wall
- Invitations to special events and lectures sponsored by the Hospital and Foundation
- Walters' Legacy Society certificate and gift of appreciation
- Donor profile in Foundation communications
To start making a difference in the life of a child, contact Senior Director of Planned Giving, Greg Romagnoli at email@example.com